Friday 11 August 2017

Chicken Rice Fix @ Kampong Chicken Eating House

Ask any Singaporean for local food recommendations and Chicken Rice will always make it in the list of must-eats. Where I grew up, chicken rice wasn't what I know it to be now. When my little town was introduced to "Singapore Chicken Rice", it simply blew my mind. How could something so simple - blanched chicken and rice, be so delicious and addictive?? Yes, the golden standard of chicken rice (in my hometown) is to be as good as "Singapore Chicken Rice" (well, the name of the shop IS also Singapore Chicken Rice. Haha). Fast forward 30 years later, here I am, in the motherland of THE chicken rice that I lusted for throughout my childhood. And my love for chicken rice brought me to this nondescript little place along Outram Road - Kampung Chicken Eating House.


Just look at the glisten of the silky smooth chicken skin..


As the name of the shop suggests, yes, they use kampung chicken. Kampung chicken are supposedly healthier, they are free range birds and are not reared like the commercial grade chickens (cramped living conditions and fed special feed). The flesh is also leaner and has considerably less fat than regular chicken. I love the smoothness of the flesh, it glides effortlessly and is just so delicious. 


The broth is flavorful and has generous portions of cabbage (that's your required intake of greens there. Haha :)  )


I can eat bowls of chicken-rice-rice. So good! 
The rice isn't too mushy, nor too hard, it's just right - al dente.


So here they are, definitely worth a visit if you are a fan of this infamous local dish.

Kampong Chicken Eating House
247 Outram Road
Singapore 169047
Tel : 6221 2522

Opening Hours :
10.45am - 12.00am

No comments:

Post a Comment