Wednesday 15 July 2015

Treats - Going Local @ Rolina, Tanjong Pagar Food Center

The Uncle works calmly in his little workspace, almost oblivious to the humdrum of the endless swarm of the lunch crowd. His aged hands show years of invaluable experience, his nimble fingers gracefully fold the pleats to enclose the curried chicken and potato goodness in each piece of dough. I call out "Uncle", and give him a smile. He smiles back and pleasantly smile and nod while I place my order. He thanks me in well spoken English and I make my way. This is not my first visit. It's been several times, and yes, Rolina's delicious curried morsels are good enough to warrant return visits.

Going at $1.40 per piece, Rolina's curry puffs are smaller than the usual fare from Old Chang Kee and the likes. The crust is thinner as well, but the filling! Oh, the filling is chock full to the brim!



Uncle Tham has received much attention from the island's who's-who in the blog sphere.



The puffs are freshly made on site everyday, and is sold out not too long after leaving the hot wok. Most times, you will get the goodies either piping hot or still warm in the inside




Best accompaniment - A hot cup of Teh-O


The Sardine Puff was equally good. It is also going for $1.40 a pop. The sardine is cooked with a mix of chopped onions and chillies, and does not have a "fishy" smell!

I have asked the Uncle once, "Do you teach your children how to make this?" He smiled, and answered "Yes, yes". I hope that the legacy of Rolina continues for generations to come. Like most traditional eats nowadays, they are slowly dissipating with the change of time. I am sure willing to learn, if he if willing to teach me. One day.

Rolina
6 Tanjong Pagar Plaza, Stall 33

Opening Hours :
Tuesday - Friday : 7.30am - 5.00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment